The steady rise in a number of nations` weight gains amongst their populations has heard the alarm bells ringing at what many describe as an obesity epidemic. It is generally agreed that something must be done to put a halt to the overweight problem, otherwise the cost to health and life itself will be staggering.A public education campaign by New York city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene – five advertisements, which have been posted in 1,000 subway cars – struck a variety of themes. It was designed to make commuters aware of what unhealthy eating can do to the body, as well as showing the number of calories contained in example dishes.Childhood obesity in Europe is growing at an alarming rate and is accelerating rapidly.In 2005, 14 million children were categorised as overweight or obese with an estimated 400,000 children entering this category every year. In 2007, the number has risen to 22 million.There are serious health consequences for obese children now, and as they grow up.Around 20,000 obese children have type-2 diabetes, over a million obese children are likely to show signs for cardiovascular diseases, and over 1.4 million may have early stages of liver disorder.Obese children are… Read full this story
- Karnataka: Pre-schools to reopen on Nov 8, managements urge govt to encourage parents to send wards
- Help autistic children face disruptive quarantine
- MPs in kitchen challenge - Cook a week's food for a family of five with only £50
- How Is The Education Department Of Thailand Planning To Reopen The Schools
- No school dinners if child's debt is 2p, Ysgol Dyffryn Nantlle letter says
- Covid: Christmas fears sees parents pull children from school
- For Online Learning, Business Has Never Been Better
- Nuvali will turn 30 just before 2050. Here's what her world could look like
- School meals: 'I remember going to bed with hunger pains'
- Giving children back their childhood
Children Learn to Cook in School have 299 words, post on ezinearticles.com at November 13, 2008. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.