A plan to make teenage girls undergo virginity tests to enter senior high school in a city in Indonesia has sparked outrage. Activists have accused the education chief of Prabumulih, in South Sumatra, of promoting sexual violence against women by suggesting the plan. Muhammad Rasyid said: “If it is possible, the virginity tests will be carried out next year”. If approved the tests would be carried out on girls wanting to enter senior high school, which teaches students aged 16 to 19. Mr Rasyid said they would try to include the plan in the 2014 budget but conceded there could be “some human rights concerns” over subjecting female students to intrusive virginity tests. Leading widespread condemnation of the plan, education minister Mohammad Nuh said: “If you want to protect your children from negative influence, there are others ways. This is not wise.” “A virginity test is a form of sexual violence against women,” Masruchah, the deputy head of the national commission on violence against woman, who like many Indonesians goes by one name. “It is degrading and discriminatory against women,” she said. The city’s deputy mayor Ardiansyah Fikri said the local authorities did not support the proposal which needs approval… Read full this story
- These kickass high school girls are making wrestling history
- This week's high school girls basketball Fab 15
- How the Few Black and Hispanic Students at Stuyvesant High School Feel
- An Adult’s ‘Clerical Error’ Threatens a Girl’s High School Hoop Dreams
- In Alabama, a Girl’s High School Hoop Dreams Are Restored
- Stop Fixating on One Elite High School. There Are Bigger Problems.
- High school, junior college sports schedules, scores: Week of Dec. 31-Jan. 5
- High school sports schedules, scores: Week of Dec. 24-29
- Colorado testing idea of adding girls high school wrestling
- Tennessean Midstate Top 10 girls high school basketball rankings
Virginity test for high school girls in Indonesia slammed have 297 words, post on www.abc.net.au at August 21, 2013. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.