OPINION: So *deep breath* I’m coming out. Which isn’t huge news to anyone who knows me, as I’ve been out as lesbian for about a quarter century now. However, I have something else to come out about … I’m also intersex. Cue the Law & Order “thump-thump” sound. This is something I’ve known about myself for over a decade. Some medical professionals have known longer than I have, and I’ll touch on this later. But my family and some of my closest friends have been aware of this for some time now. READ MORE:Shortland Street introduces first intersex characterEditorial: Gender changes raise important questionsThe Kiwis whose gender doesn’t fit in a ‘neat little box’ Do I trumpet being intersex to the rafters? No, it’s been private to me, and something I felt like I didn’t need to mention to anyone but those closest to me. However, recent events have made me rethink how important it is be to be out. For those that aren’t familiar, intersex is an umbrella term for those that are born with a range of reproductive/sexual anatomy, hormonal conditions, or chromosomal arrangements that don’t quite fit traditional binary definitions of male and female. Just under two per cent of all people… Read full this story
- Shia LaBeouf spends quality time with his mother Shayna Said after scoring a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame
- The Voice alum Avery Wilson comes out as bisexual: 'I’m a bisexual man who’s in love with LOVE'
- Chilling mistakes Sarah Payne killer made as net closed in on twisted paedophile
- Sarah Avon Mystery: 'Everyone Just Stayed Away From Billy'
- Harrowing impact Sarah Payne's murder has had on her grieving older brother
- ‘The Affair’ Finale: Sarah Treem Explains The Payoff For The Five Season Journey Of Noah & Helen Solloway
- Sarah Jessica Parker flashes her toned legs while indulging in a glass of wine and Mary Trump's tell-all book at the beach with pals in the Hamptons
- Sarah Payne's dad's heartbreaking spiral into grief and alcoholism that claimed his life
- SARAH VINE: What Princess Beatrice’s modest wedding day could teach Meghan Markle
- Andrew Baker: Man accused of murdering Sarah Gatt allegedly lived in unit for six days with corpse in bathtub upstairs
Time to come out: Hi, I’m Sarah, and I’m intersex have 377 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at November 21, 2018. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.