Revelers around the globe are bidding a weary farewell Monday to an unsettling year filled with challenges to many of the world’s most basic institutions, including politics, trade, alliances and religion. Here’s a look at how people are ushering in the new year: ___NEW ZEALANDIn Auckland, New Zealand’s biggest city, tens of thousands gathered around Sky Tower as fireworks exploded from the top of the 328-meter (1,076-foot) structure. Across the southern hemisphere nation, thousands took to beaches and streets, becoming among the first in the world to usher in 2019.Fireworks boomed and crackled above city centers and harbors.___AUSTRALIAA thunderstorm drenched tens of thousands of people as they gathered for Sydney’s traditional spectacular fireworks display, creating a show of its own with dozens of lightning strikes.Police estimated that more than a million people would crowd Sydney Harbor to view the glittering fireworks. People began gathering early in the day at popular vantage points, including the Opera House and the ends of the Harbor Bridge.The show was to feature more than 100,000 pyrotechnic effects accompanied by music culminating at midnight with “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman,” made famous by Aretha Franklin, who died in August.Police said they were taking… Read full this story
- Furious This Morning viewers brand Spin To Win a ‘fix’ as caller says ‘hello’ BEFORE the password – but still wins
- Goodbye IT, colleges say hello to industry-ready courses
- Stacey Solomon sobs for two hours as she says an emotional goodbye to her empty old home
- Say hello to Eurogamer's new comments moderator!
- Say hello to Boston Dynamics’ newest robot: Stretch
- Scarlett Johanson revels how she parents her daughter
- ‘The Kindest Person In The World’: Pirates Usher Celebrates 81 Years On The Job
- Hello Charlie Movie Review: Hitch This Aadar Jain-Jackie Shroff's Ride Only If You 'Ape-Reciate' Silly Gags
- The Duchess of Cambridge's royal wardrobe earns her top spot in HELLO!'s Style Icon Poll
- Katy Perry makes surprising revelation after motherhood
Revelers say hello to 2019, goodbye to an unsettling year have 324 words, post on www.dailyherald.com at December 31, 2018. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.