NEW YORK — Carol Channing, the lanky, ebullient musical comedy star who delighted American audiences over 5,000 performances as the scheming Dolly Levi in “Hello, Dolly!” on Broadway and beyond, has died. She was 97.Publicist B. Harlan Boll said Channing died of natural causes at 12:31 a.m. Tuesday in Rancho Mirage, California. Boll says she had twice suffered strokes in the last year.Besides “Hello, Dolly!,” Channing starred in other Broadway shows, but none with equal magnetism. She often appeared on television and in nightclubs, for a time partnering with George Burns in Las Vegas and a national tour.Her outsized personality seemed too much for the screen, and she made only a few movies, notably “The First Traveling Saleslady” with Ginger Rogers and “Thoroughly Modern Millie” with Julie Andrews.Over the years, Channing continued as Dolly in national tours, the last in 1996, when she was in her 70s. Tom Shales of The Washington Post called her “the ninth wonder of the world.”Messages of love and appreciation lit up Twitter early Tuesday, with the League of Professional Theatre Women saying Channing “was a gift of inspiration to so many.” Fans who saw her work also took to social media, calling her a… Read full this story
- Dolly Parton serves sexy sophistication in black and gold at We Are Family Foundation gala in NYC
- Goodspeed Announces Cast for 'A CT Christmas Carol'
- Jackie Chan and Johnny Knoxville battle the ravages of age in
- Pride Of Britain Awards: All the highlights as Carol Vorderman hosts tear-jerking ceremony
- Adele Dresses Up as Dolly Parton, Dolly Responds
- Dolly Parton says her greatest achievement is getting kids to read as she backs our Books For Schools campaign
- Dolly Parton fans go wild as she releases trailer for new Netflix anthology series Heartstrings with all-star cast
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, 72, reveals he almost died in heart op…but only feared messing up filming for sixth Terminator
- Daniel Craig looks battered and bloodied in new James Bond: No Time To Die snap
- Eggheads star CJ de Mooi says he contracted HIV as a teen prostitute after revealing he’s dying from AIDS
Carol Channing, the 'Hello, Dolly!' icon, has died have 343 words, post on gazette.com at January 15, 2019. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.