Rich Pedroncelli / AP This April 23, 2019, file photo shows gas prices displayed at a Shell station in Sacramento, Calif. By Tom Krisher and Ellen Knickmeyer, Associated Press Thursday, July 25, 2019 | 12:29 p.m. DETROIT — Four major automakers have reached a deal with California to increase gas mileage and greenhouse gas emissions standards, bypassing the Trump administration’s push to freeze requirements at 2021 levels. Ford, BMW, Honda and Volkswagen signed the deal with the California Air Resources Board, the state’s air pollution regulator, which had been at odds with the Trump administration for months. California has said it would exercise its powers to set more stringent pollution and mileage standards than the federal government has proposed. The Trump administration reacted angrily to the end run, with Environmental Protection Agency spokesman Michael Abboud calling it a “PR stunt” and charging that California regulators “continually refused to produce reasonable and responsible proposals.” The administration has sought to freeze Obama administration standards, keeping fleetwide new-vehicle mileage at 2021 levels of about 30 mpg. The administration says the extra expense to comply with the requirements will raise the price of new cars, making them unaffordable and depriving buyers of new safety technology…. Read full this story
- Trump signs Kushner-negotiated $100B Saudi arms deal
- Trump signs executive order banning US telcos from buying or using foreign gear
- President Trump Signs Anti-Russian Sanctions Into Law
- Exclusive — Treasury’s Monica Crowley on the Explosive Trump Economy Success: ‘Boom!’
- California, 14 other states call out administration on misleading contraceptive messages
- Trump: US-China Trade Deal Might Wait Till After 2020 Election
- Donald Trump Campaign Promises: Which 2016 Pledges Were Kept and Which Broken As President Launches 2020 Bid?
- Appropriators face crucial weekend to reach deal
- White House, Democrats edge closer to deal on trade
- Newsletter: How did the California headlines affect *you* this year?
California skirts Trump, signs mileage deal with 4 companies have 289 words, post on lasvegassun.com at July 25, 2019. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.