This is a carousel. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate 5 Incumbents Rebecca Kaplan, Noel Gallo and Dan Kalb and challenger Carroll Fife claimed victory as all five Oakland City Council races were settled. Newcomer Treva Reid won her father's seat for District Seven. Barbara Parker won re-election as city attorney. Twenty people ran in the November election for the Oakland City Council, including four incumbents who faced off against progressives calling for more housing, solutions to homelessness and a defunding of the police department. Both the City Council and City Attorney's races use ranked-choice voting. If a candidate receives a majority of first-choice votes, that candidate wins. If not, the last-place candidate is eliminated, and voters who selected that candidate have their votes counted for their next choice — a cycle that repeats until a candidate gets a majority. At-large council seat Rebecca Kaplan declared victory Monday afternoon after receiving a call from challenger Derreck Johnson conceding the race. "This victory shows that Oakland is not for sale," Kaplan told The Chronicle. "Billionaire bullies and their $500,000 in expenditures against me were no match for Oakland voters and the trust placed in me by the community. I look… Read full this story
- Liverpool's Labour-run city council calls for another national lockdown to stop spread of mutant Covid strain and prevent 'catastrophe'
- Who Is Kim Janey? Boston City Council President Would Make History As Mayor
- Atlanta city council members fund private police force, blast mayor's handling of crime surge
- Women elected chair, vice chair of Lafayette City Council
- Lafayette City Council to consider committee to explore deconsolidation, separate city mayor
- Local council elections, INEC and state governors
- Georgia Governor Sues Atlanta Mayor, City Council for Requiring Face Masks
- Ondo Decides: Scores injured as supporters of APC, ADC clash 24 hours to the council election
- New York City Council Considering Changes To Language Of Police Chokehold Ban
- Mitch McConnell tears into Trump and Ted Cruz-backed plan to overturn election result calling it a 'poisonous path' which would put 'democracy in a death spiral'
Oakland City Council election: All five races called have 337 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at November 13, 2020. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.