Myanmar police shot and killed two protesters on Sunday (Feb 28) and wounded several as they cracked down in a bid to end weeks of demonstrations against a Feb 1 military coup, a doctor and a politician said. Police opened fire in the town of Dawei, killing one and wounding several, politician Kyaw Min Htike told Reuters from the southern town. The Dawei Watch media outlet also said at least one person was killed and more than a dozen wounded. Police also fired in the main city of Yangon and one man brought to a hospital with a bullet wound in the chest had died, said a doctor at the hospital who asked not to be identified. The Mizzima media outlet also reported that death. Police and the spokesman for the ruling military council did not respond to phone calls seeking comment. Myanmar has been in chaos for a month since the army seized power and detained elected government leader Aung San Suu Kyi and much of her party leadership, alleging fraud in a November election her party won in a landslide. The coup, which stalled Myanmar’s progress toward democracy after nearly 50 years of military rule, has brought hundreds of… Read full this story
- Brother of Black Male Shot by Police Tells Protest He Wants Officer ‘Terminated’, ‘Finished’
- Petition to Impeach Bill de Blasio Nears 120,000 Signatures After NYC Mayor Backs Police During Protests
- The height of stupidity: Reveller stands on the edge of Beachy Head cliff as sunbathers lounge in a London park as police crack down on Britons enjoying gloriously sunny 79F weather amid lockdown
- California orders 5,000 body bags while Colorado and New Mexico bring in refrigerated trucks on second day of vaccine rollout - as US hospitalizations reach a record 112,816 and new daily fatalities surge to more than 3k
- Friend of Air Force vet shot dead by Capitol police says she was 'executed' and 'willing to lay down her life for her country' as family of MAGA fan trampled to death in Capitol says Trump is to blame
- More than 150 are arrested as police clash with anti-lockdown protesters in London and thousands march against restrictions - while 100 Tory MPs prepare to rebel against Tiers after admission that indoor socialising ban could last until EASTER
- Deadly siege focuses attention on Capitol Police
- No second chances! Police will fine people the FIRST time they are caught not wearing a mask in shops or on public transport, or for leaving their home without a reason
- Stopped at the shops: Now Police quiz drivers outside TESCO and demand to know where they are headed as Priti Patel says cops are right to quiz park goers on benches and stay at home message is 'very clear'
- Ohio cop who shot dead unarmed black man Andre Hill is FIRED following disciplinary hearing and just hours after coroner's ruled the 47-year-old's death a homicide
2 dead, several hurt after Myanmar police crack down on protests for second day have 470 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at February 28, 2021. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.