The young black poet made internationally famous by her recital during the inauguration of Joe Biden says she was followed home by a security guard because she looked “suspicious”. Amanda Gorman , who was the US’s first National Youth Poet Laureate and was widely praised for her performance in January, says she was regarded as a “threat” because she is black. She told her 1.5 million Twitter followers: “A security guard tailed me on my walk home tonight. He demanded if I lived there because ‘you look suspicious.’ A security guard tailed me on my walk home tonight. He demanded if I lived there because "you look suspicious." I showed my keys & buzzed myself into my building. He left, no apology. This is the reality of black girls: One day you're called an icon, the next day, a threat. https://t.co/MmANtQqpBs — Amanda Gorman (@TheAmandaGorman) March 6, 2021 “I showed my keys & buzzed myself into my building. He left, no apology. This is the reality of black girls: One day you’re called an icon, the next day, a threat.” The identity of the security guard is unknown. Advertisement The 22-year-old from Los Angeles, who garnered worldwide attention due to… Read full this story
- NYT security guard who went viral for interaction with Biden will have prominent role at convention: report
- China's Communist Party is a threat to the world, says former elite insider
- ISIS Beatles say life sentence inside 'hell on Earth' supermax prison would be worse than the death penalty if they are sent to face US justice for string of terrorist beheadings
- Reading attack suspect's 'brother' says he is 'not a terrorist' and was arrested because UK is 'racist'
- AP FACT CHECK: What the Dems didn't say, and what Trump did
- AP FACT CHECK: What the Dems didn’t say, and what Trump did
- 'I'll cut you up piece by piece until I reach your head': How Harry and Meghan snapped up $14.7m dream home from Russian tycoon whose ex-wife claims he threatened to kill her – but he says it's a lie and she defrauded HIM
- People In The Developing World Thought They Were Buying Cheap Cellphones. They Were Also Getting Robbed.
- Ayatollah Says America Can't Stop Iran Getting Nuclear Weapons
- UK must give 'realistic solution' to Ireland border issue, says EU's Donald Tusk
Amanda Gorman: Poet says she was tailed by suspicious security guard who thought she was a 'threat' have 383 words, post on news.sky.com at March 6, 2021. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.