SINGAPORE: A maintenance employee of a swimming school in Jurong East discarded chlorine powder into a sewer on Friday (Mar 5), “unknowingly” causing a chemical reaction, said the founder of the school. The chemical reaction “ignited a flare” and caused an “alarming sound”, Mr Tan Jian Yong, the founder of Happy Fish Swim School, said in a Facebook post on Saturday. There were no students at the premises at the time of the incident, he said. No injuries were reported, and the maintenance keeper was taken to the hospital for a check-up, he added. “We are working closely with authorities as we recognise our responsibility here — to safeguard further precautionary steps to ensure the safety of our staff, students and the members of public,” said Mr Tan. WHAT HAPPENED? Mr Tan said the incident happened at about 8.30pm at one of the school’s branches in Jurong East. Mr Tan said the school had hired a waste management company after noticing a strong smell from the chlorine drum, which had come in contact with moist air. “Our maintenance keeper genuinely has mistaken the intention and took the initiative to discard the chlorine powder into the sewage without knowing that it will… Read full this story
- The super Nova swimming star and the teenagers with Tokyo 2020 vision
- Fighting the fatbergs: how cities are waging war on clogged sewers
- Salt and Chlorine Pools: Which is Best?
- Using Chlorine To Assist With Pool Maintenance
- Fine Tuning Your Swimming Pool Chemistry
- How an 11-year-old came to swim the Channel
- Shillong Schools Emerging Indias Future Group
- School graded weak in education report
- DuPage County scoreboard for Saturday, Oct. 12
- Cook County scoreboard for Saturday, Oct. 12
Chlorine powder discarded into sewer by swimming school in Jurong East have 271 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at March 6, 2021. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.