(CNN) The Department of Defense has released the names of the 13 US service members who were killed in an attack outside Kabul’s airport on Thursday, as the US and other Western countries raced to evacuat e their citizens and allies out of Afghanistan. Here’s what we know about some of those who gave their lives in service to their country. Ryan Knauss Army Staff Sgt. Ryan Knauss, 23, of Corryton, in east Tennessee, enlisted right after graduating from Gibbs High School, his grandmother told CNN affiliate WVLT. He joined the Army in May 2016. Army Staff Sgt. Ryan C. Knauss He had previously spent nine months in Afghanistan; he was deployed again amid the US withdrawal and had only been back in the country for a week when the attack happened, his grandmother said. Read More Knauss’ grandparents said his role was to check people’s tickets and paperwork before they boarded flights leaving Afghanistan, WVLT reported. US Rep. Tim Burchett, whose district includes Knauss’ hometown, said in a statement , “Ryan gave his life outside that airport helping people he didn’t know get to safety. This is what true heroism looks like and Ryan’s sacrifice will never be forgotten…. Read full this story
- Hundreds attend funeral for Indiana family members killed in duck boat accident
- Family’s tears as victim’s son tells Grenfell inquiry of his ‘hero’ father
- Trump ‘filled with sadness’ after death of secret service agent in Scotland
- Briton killed in Syrian bomb blast during anti-Islamic State mission
- Third RFE/RL Journalist Dies As Toll Rises In Kabul Suicide Bombings
- BBC reporter killed in Afghanistan on day suicide bombs leave dozens dead
- Faces of 22 innocent victims killed in Manchester bombing
- Finsbury Park anniversary: Minute's silence as imam who shielded attacker praised for 'preventing violence'
- I was arrested at 11, drug dealing as a teenager and had 10 friends killed… my life in a London gang
- Belgium terrorist attack: Hero hostage convinced Liege gunman to spare schoolchildren
A soon-to-be father, a beloved brother and a state champion among US service members killed in Kabul attack have 320 words, post on edition.cnn.com at August 27, 2021. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.