Hoàng Nguyên Thanh of Việt Nam celebrates as he crosses line in the men’s marathon event. — VNA/VNS Photo Huy Hùng Thanh Hà Việt Nam has won gold in the marathon for the first time, thanks to the heroics of Hoàng Nguyên Thanh. His title made up part of a golden hat trick on the last day of athletics. The other winners for the hosts were Võ Xuân Vinh in the men’s 20km walk and Nguyễn Thị Thanh Phúc in the women’s 10km walk. Their victories took Việt Nam’s athletics gold tally to 22, a record for the nation. Marathoner Thanh was back in SEA Games after seven years, having taken a two-year break from marathoning. But since his comeback in 2019, he set his sights on the domestic tournament and grabbed a place in the national team for the SEA Games. The 2015 bronze medallist dreamed of a top place in his return but knew it would be a tough job. However, on May 19, the Bình Phước Province-born athlete did it easier than expected. He finished first with a time of 2hr 25.78min, neatly 30sec faster than the second-placed Agus Prayogo of Indonesia (2:25.38) who was the defending champion. Tony Ah-Thit… Read full this story
- Eliud Kipchoge becomes 1st to run marathon in under two hours
- Six incredible homes you could buy if you win the lottery
- Yankees crush Red Sox in London, but baseball comes away winning
- Margaret Kuras Brings Home Gold and Silver
- 'It was amazing to be part of the winning team'
- Vienna to host Kipchoge’s bid to break two-hour marathon barrier
- Kenyan first under 2 hours for marathon
- Running North Korea: Inside Pyongyang's marathon
- The elite runners Mo Farah has to beat to claim a SIXTH GNR win
- Stirling-born Olympic marathon hero returns to city
Việt Nam win historic first marathon gold have 304 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at May 20, 2022. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.