A San Francisco elementary school principal's use of a racial epithet, while speaking to students about the word being used during a fight, angered some parents and stirred a new controversy for the school district over race and language. Carol Fong, principal at Ulloa Elementary in the city's Outer Sunset district, acknowledged in a letter sent to parents Tuesday that she used the "N-word" in a discussion with fifth-graders to explain a lunch-period fight they had witnessed between two students in January in which the slur was reportedly said. A parent filed a complaint and the school district launched an investigation, Fong said in her letter. She did not disclose the result of the investigation but said she is moving forward as principal to unite and heal the school community. A district spokesperson did not confirm the investigation or say whether discipline resulted. "I am truly sorry that the use of the N-word has caused harm to this community. I understand that the word is toxic to our families and it triggers horrific experiences for some," Fong said in the letter. "It is a harmful word used to demean a whole group of people by the color of their skin…. Read full this story
- School officials say Waukegan teacher used racial slur in 5th-grade class, prompting calls for diversity training
- Meet the School Principal Revolutionizing Education for Public School Students in Brooklyn
- Students in Brooklyn protest their school's use of a Zuckerberg-backed online curriculum designed by Facebook engineers
- Video with Southlake Carroll student in it includes repeated use of the n-word
- Racially charged photos of Baltimore private school students in Halloween costumes create stir online
- It’s Time for Tesla (and Everyone Else) to Take Racial Harassment Seriously
- N.J. principal apologizes to black students for 1776 prom theme
- Boy, 13, charged with hate crime, electronic harassment after threats and 'racial statements'
- At Many U.S. Boarding Schools, A Glimpse Of China’s Future
- Man arrested for using forged letter to get admission in Bishop's school
S.F. school principal used a racial epithet in a talk about slurs with students. Parents are furious have 334 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at May 26, 2022. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.