Bradley Marshall Jr. parked his Chevy pickup truck next to the job site on Linda Avenue, a tree-lined street in Piedmont where he had been hired to repair a leaky waste line. Finding no one at the customer's home, Marshall sat in the truck and waited, jotting estimates on a clipboard. Then he heard a tap on the passenger side window, and saw a figure in a ski mask. Turning to the driver's side, he glimpsed the barrel of a semiautomatic handgun pointed right at his head. "I put my hands up," Marshall said, recalling his terror on that July day in 2021, a shudder catching in his throat. "I said, 'just take everything.'" Within seconds, the thieves forced Marshall into the street and fled in his Chevy, which was packed with expensive plumbing tools : a new sewer jetter worth $15,000, a saw cutter, jack hammers, two sewer snakes, extension cords, copper and a mechanical shovel. Piedmont police later arrested three people, but Marshall said he could not positively identify them, because they were wearing masks. The truck-jacking at gunpoint was one in a string of power-tool heists in the Bay Area last year, a crime that appears to… Read full this story
- These Bay Area retailers could be the next to go bankrupt
- Rain, possible thunderstorms to bear down again on Bay Area
- More rainy, windy weather expected in the Bay Area
- Stolen pregnant goats, fighting bulls and backhoe joy rides: Most memorable Bay Area headlines of 2018
- Estero car break-ins: Thieves target cars in Three Oaks Parkway gated community
- Operation ‘Wrecking Ball’ slams into retail thieves
- PG&E power lines may have sparked deadly Camp Fire
- San Jose: Violent crime continues to rise as chief calls for reinforcements
- A brief history of walls being used as political tools
- NFL Draft: What do the San Francisco 49ers need, and who should they target at the Senior Bowl?
Thieves are targeting power tools worth up to $50,000 in latest Bay Area crime wave have 318 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at February 6, 2023. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.