The Turkish parliament's foreign affairs commission approved a bill ratifying Finland's bid to join NATO Thursday, according to state broadcaster TRT Haber . The bill is still waiting on approval from the parliament's general assembly. The move comes as Finnish President Sauli Niinistö formally sealed the Nordic nation's historic bid to join the military alliance, Thursday, signing into law the required national legal amendments needed for membership of NATO. Turkey and Hungary are the only two of NATO's 30 existing members who haven’t ratified Finland’s bid. Admitting new countries requires unanimous approval from the alliance members, and the parliaments in Ankara and Budapest haven't yet given the green light. After delays of several months, the Hungarian parliament is finally expected to approve the Finnish accession into NATO on 27 March. Despite, backing Finland joining NATO, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has held off approving Sweden's bid. It isn't clear either when Budapest will ratify Stockholm's bid. Last week Niinistö visited Ankara , where Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan pledged to move forward with ratifying Finland's application, ahead of Turkey’s presidential and parliamentary elections scheduled for 14 May. Finland's 200-seat Eduskunta parliament endorsed the country's NATO bid with an overwhelming 184-7 majority at the beginning… Read full this story
- 'Mass testing' at UK airports to save our summer holidays: Grant Shapps will FINALLY unveil list of 60 'safe' countries today - including France, Spain, Italy and New Zealand - but will they want Brits to go there?
- Coronavirus: WHO calls for vaccine to be shared 'for public good'
- Boris Johnson will push for a general election if the EU grants another Brexit delay because it is 'the only way the country can move on' after MPs REJECTED the Prime Minister's three-day timetable
- Brexit: Theresa May compromises with eurosceptic lawmakers on customs bill
- Holidaymakers face a farcical 'maze' of red tape after it emerges only 25 of the 59 'air bridge' countries have no restrictions on Britons landing at airports
Turkey ratifies Finland NATO bid, but awaits final parliament approval have 343 words, post on www.euronews.com at March 23, 2023. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.