The White House responded to accusations made by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ‘s son about the role of the United States in the protests unfolding in the country. Last week, Yair Netanyahu shared an article from the far-right website Breitbart claiming that the U.S. is funding the anti-government protests unfolding in Israel in order to overthrow his father and force his government to come to an agreement with Iran . “These accusations are completely false,” a U.S. State Department spokesperson told the Israeli newspaper Haaretz . The spokesperson said that the Movement for Quality Government—an independent, non-partisan, non-profit, pro-democracy organization that has been part of the demonstrations in Israel—”received a modest grant from the State Department that was initiated during the previous administration,” adding that “the last disbursal of funds came in September of 2022, well before the last Israeli election.” The grant, according to the spokesperson, “supported an educational program for Jerusalem schools that supplemented their civic studies curriculum.” But fears and suspicions that the U.S. might be interfering with Israel’s affairs appear to go beyond just the prime minister’s son. A senior Israeli official quoted by Haaretz said that this is “not the first time the U.S…. Read full this story
- Rapinoe insists focus remains despite White House furore
- High-profile departures from Trump’s White House
- Bahrain FM says Israel part of region's 'heritage'
- White House unveils $50 billion Palestinian economic plan
- White House's Kushner in Jerusalem for Israeli talks
- US stocks surge after White House delays key tariffs on China
- Israel lost its man in the White House
- Thunberg in White House climate protest
- White House unveils part of Mideast plan
- Kushner heads to Mideast to press US peace plan: White House
White House hits back at Netanyahu's son saying U.S. behind Israel protests have 281 words, post on www.newsweek.com at March 27, 2023. This is cached page on Search. If you want remove this page, please contact us.